Lighting fixtures are essential for creating beautiful and functional living spaces. Having the proper lighting can immensely improve your productivity and the aesthetics of your home. Great lighting fixtures can also help define and enhance comfort in your living space since they affect how people perceive textures and colors. So, how do you buy lighting for your space?
Buy Lighting For Your Home or Office
Choosing the ideal lighting fixtures for your home or office can be a challenging task; but worry not. Our team of designers at Renovation By Design have prepared an in-depth guide detailing what to consider when purchasing the correct lighting for your space.
Don’t just rely on that ceiling light as your only source of light. Determine what you intend to use the space for and think about the lighting in layers. The layers can include:
- Primary lighting – Typically, this is the first light you turn on when you enter the room. This should be the main source of light in your space. For primary lighting, it is advisable to buy a light fixture that will provide overall brightness for the space.
- Accent Lighting – Accent light fixtures such as table lamps brighten the dark corners of the space while creating an inviting ambiance. Soft lighting can also be used to highlight the architectural features of your home or artwork.
- Task Lighting – As the name suggests, this type of light fixture provides direct and focused illumination. The most common light fixtures under this category include desk lamps, floor lamps, sconces, and pendants.
As a rule of thumb, interior designers recommend leaving ample space between the light fixtures and the floor. However, this should not compromise the quality of lighting in your space.
If you intend to hang pendants over the kitchen island or dining table, they should leave about 30 inches of clearance between the bottom of the fixture and the tabletop. Ideally, the width of the island or table should be 12 inches or wider than the diameter of the light fixture.
Any pendant hanging from the ceiling of your living room should be a foot taller than the tallest person living in your home. Most pendants are installed seven feet or higher from the floor. To avoid looking directly into the lightbulbs in a table or floor lamps, the light fixtures should be installed such that the lampshade’s bottom is just below eye level.
Type of Bulbs
The bulbs in your light fixtures affect your energy consumption and the color of light given off. Therefore, it is imperative to know which types of bulbs are suitable for a space.
- – provide warm light and are ideal for table and floor lamps, kitchen pot lights, and chandeliers.
- Halogen – also gives off a warm light.
- Fluorescent – provides a cool light but not as bright as other types of bulbs.
- Led – lasts the longest and gives off the brightest light. It can give off a cool or warm light.
Connect With RBD to Buy Lighting for Your Space Today
The lighting in your living space speaks volumes about your personality while enhancing your home’s aesthetic value. If you wonder which light fixtures to purchase for your home or office, Renovation By Design can help. Please contact us here or call our team at (248) 260-7639 for a complimentary showroom consultation.